About Me

My photo
United States
Hello everyone, I'm Cindi, aka "domestic goddess", and I consider myself to be a country girl at heart. I'm also a mother to 3 daughters, and I have 1 granddaughter. Being a counrty gal, I enjoy preparing down-home country meals for my family. I also enjoy sharing recipes with others, collecting cookbooks, reading about the paranormal, and spending time with my family.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Last week my oldest daughter had given me some zucchini from her garden. Wanting to bake some sort of chocolate bread with it,
I came across a recipe which included mini chocolate chips in the recipe, and boy did this bread taste chocolatey good! I baked 2 loaves, and shared one of them with my daughter. After the bread cooled completely, I thought it stayed nice and moist in a Tupperware container. I also thought it tasted best if eatin' the day it is was made.


Chocolate Zucchini Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or canola oil)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
3 cups grated zucchini (do not peel the zucchini)
3/4 cup real semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
the zest from one orange (optional ingredient)

Cinnamon-Sugar Topping:
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350º.

Grease and flour (2) 8 x 4 x 2-inch loaf baking pans. I used Teflon non-stick pans, and sprayed them with Baker's Joy No-Stick Baking Spray with Flour.

In a small bowl mix together, the cinnamon-sugar topping ingredients, then set bowl aside.

In a medium size bowl mix together, the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder; set this bowl aside as well.

In a large mixing bowl, or if your using a Kitchen-Aid Mixer, add the oil, both sugars, and the eggs. Beat until slightly fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.

Add the vanilla and sour cream; mix until combined. Gently stir in the grated zucchini, and the zest from one orange. I did not add the zest from one orange, and I thought the bread tasted great without it!

In a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture. Add the mini chocolate chips, and stir to coat chips with the flour. This will help keep the chips evenly distributed in the batter. Add the remaining flour mixture to the batter; stir just until combined.

Add the chocolate chips; stir to combine. Divide batter evenly between the 2 loaf pans, and sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar topping evenly over each pan. Place both pans onto a baking sheet. (This helps to remove pans from the oven a bit more easily.)

Bake in oven for 50-60 minutes. (Mine was done baking within 60 minutes.) To see if the bread is done baking, insert toothpick, to be sure non of the batter is sticking to the toothpick. Once the bread is done baking, set pans aside to cool for 5-10 minutes, then place loaves onto a wire rack to cool bread completely, before slicing bread.

1 comment:

Nordicblogger said...

Mmmmm! Bring on the chocolate! What a great way to tempt people into eating yet another slice!