About Me

My photo
United States
Hello everyone, I'm Cindi, aka "domestic goddess", and I consider myself to be a country girl at heart. I'm also a mother to 3 daughters, and I have 1 granddaughter. Being a counrty gal, I enjoy preparing down-home country meals for my family. I also enjoy sharing recipes with others, collecting cookbooks, reading about the paranormal, and spending time with my family.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Zucchini Carrot Cake

This is one of "the best" cakes I've had in a long time. Not only is this cake very moist, but the spices added, reminded me of a homemade spice cake. I didn't make a 3-layer cake, I opt to make 3-single frosted layered cakes. Two of the cakes I had given to others, and the other I kept for my husband and I to try.

Zucchini Carrot Cake

4 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1-1/3 cups vegetable oil
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (*See note)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups grated/finely shredded carrots
2 cups grated/finely shredded zucchini
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans, or walnuts (optional)

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened (1/2 cup)
5 cups confectioners' sugar (I used 6 cups)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Whole or coarsely chopped pecans, or walnuts (optional)
.......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... ..........

In a large bowl, or a Kitchen-Aid Mixer, add the eggs and sugar. Beat eggs and sugar until frothy.

Gradually beat in the vegetable oil.

In another bowl mix together, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.

Add the flour mixture to the whipped egg/sugar mixture, and beat for 4 minutes.

Add the carrots, zucchini, and nuts to the batter, and stir to mix.

Pour batter into 3 greased (9-inch) round baking pans. Place pans in a 350 degree oven, and bake for about 35 minutes, or until top of cake springs back when lightly touched.

Cool cakes for 5 minutes before removing them from the pans, then cool cakes thoroughly on a wire rack.

To make the frosting: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract, and continue beating until sugar is dissolved. Spread frosting between the layers, and over the top and sides of the cake. Garnish cake with whole pecans or walnuts, or with chopped pecans or walnuts, if desired. (I added 6 cups of the confectioners' sugar, as I thought the frosting wasn't the right consistency for me. I ended up with a bit more frosting, but stored the extra frosting in the refrigerator to use later.)

*Note: This recipe specifies to use 2-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, but I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour, and 1-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, plus I did not add any nuts to the cake batter. Instead I just topped the cake(s) with a bit of chopped pecans.

1 comment:

Nordicblogger said...

I can almost taste how good this would be. Thanks for sharing the recipe!