About Me

My photo
United States
Hello everyone, I'm Cindi, aka "domestic goddess", and I consider myself to be a country girl at heart. I'm also a mother to 3 daughters, and I have 1 granddaughter. Being a counrty gal, I enjoy preparing down-home country meals for my family. I also enjoy sharing recipes with others, collecting cookbooks, reading about the paranormal, and spending time with my family.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup

I wanted to widen my horizons, and prepare a different kind of soup that's out of the ordinary. This soup has a bit of a 'kick' to it, but it's also a soup that I thoroughly enjoyed.



Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup

1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium size onion, diced
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (for less heat, add an 1/8 tsp.)
1 teaspoon paprika
32 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3 (15.5 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
salt (Add if desired, and season according to taste.)
2 handfuls of baby spinach, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels

Heat vegetable oil in a large stock-pot over medium to medium-
high heat.

Add onion to the pot, and sauté the onion for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes.

Add the garlic, and sauté the garlic for 1 minute.

Add the cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper and paprika,

and cook the spices for about 1 minute.

Now add the broth, tomatoes, and the chickpeas; stir to mix.


Bring soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer,
cover the pot, and simmer the soup for 45 minutes.

After the 45 minutes of cooking time, remove about half
of the
chickpeas, and place them in a bowl. 

Using a potato masher; mash the chickpeas.

Once mashed, add the chickpeas back to the pot, then add the
spinach; stir the soup.

Season the soup with a bit of salt, if desired, and serve the soup
immediately.

Yields: 6 - 8 servings

No comments: