About Me

My photo
United States
Hello everyone, I'm Cindi, aka "domestic goddess", and I consider myself to be a country girl at heart. I'm also a mother to 3 daughters, and I have 1 granddaughter. Being a counrty gal, I enjoy preparing down-home country meals for my family. I also enjoy sharing recipes with others, collecting cookbooks, reading about the paranormal, and spending time with my family.

Friday, November 25, 2011

Creamed Turkey & Rice Soup

1 turkey carcass (from a 14-lb. cooked turkey)
14 cups water
1 large onion, chopped fine
3 stalks celery, sliced thin
4 large carrots, chopped or sliced thin
1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 cup butter or margarine
1-1/2 cups flour
1 pint half-and-half cream
5 cups diced cooked turkey
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
6 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
salt & pepper to taste

In a large soup kettle or stockpot, add turkey carcass and the 14 cups of water. Bring water to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Remove bones; reserve meat for soup. Strain stock; set aside.

In a large saucepan, combine onions, celery, carrots, rice, and 1-quart (4 cups) of the stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes; set aside.

In a large soup kettle, melt butter. Blend in flour; heat until bubbly.

Add the half-and-half, and remaining 2 quarts (8 cups) of stock, to the butter/flour mixture; cook and stir until bubbly.

Stir in the reserved vegetable mixture, turkey meat and seasonings. Heat slowly to serving temperature.

Yields: 12-14 servings.

*Note: This soup freezes well.

No comments: