About Me

My photo
United States
Hello everyone, I'm Cindi, aka "domestic goddess", and I consider myself to be a country girl at heart. I'm also a mother to 3 daughters, and I have 1 granddaughter. Being a counrty gal, I enjoy preparing down-home country meals for my family. I also enjoy sharing recipes with others, collecting cookbooks, reading about the paranormal, and spending time with my family.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cream of Tomato and Coconut Soup

I made this delicious soup for today's lunch. It tasted great with the sub sandwich we had from Subway. I so enjoy preparing soups with items I have in my pantry, plus it's always nice to try new soup recipes.

Cream of Tomato and Coconut Soup

1 tablespoon canola oil (or) vegetable oil
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced yellow or white onion
1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
1 teaspoon dried oregano
smidgen (It's half of a pinch) of ground cinnamon
1 whole bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk

In a large stock-pot (at least 3-quart size), sauté the celery and onion in the canola or vegetable oil until tender, for about 10 minutes. (I sautéed the vegetables over a low simmer, so the onion wouldn't burn.)

After the vegetables are cooked, stir in the tomato puree, oregano, and cinnamon.


Place the bay leaf in the center of the pot.

Turn up the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and simmer for 10 minutes.

After simmering the tomato/vegetable mixture, turn off the heat, remove the bay leaf, then stir in the coconut milk.

Transfer a third of the soup to a jar blender, be sure to hold onto the lid of the blender while blending the soup. (If need be, place a hand towel over the lid while blending.) Puree the soup until smooth (about 15-20 seconds).


Add the puréed soup to a heat-proof bowl, and continue blending the remaining soup (in two more batches), and adding any remaining soup to the heat-proof bowl until ready to add all of the soup back to the pot to reheat the soup.

Reheat (simmer) the soup 5-10 minutes.

Season the warm soup with the salt, pepper, and red pepper.

Yields: 5-1/2 cups

*Note: The amount of spice/seasonings I added, I did so according to taste, so if you'd like to add more salt, white pepper, and red pepper, add according to your taste as well.

No comments: