About Me

My photo
United States
Hello everyone, I'm Cindi, aka "domestic goddess", and I consider myself to be a country girl at heart. I'm also a mother to 3 daughters, and I have 1 granddaughter. Being a counrty gal, I enjoy preparing down-home country meals for my family. I also enjoy sharing recipes with others, collecting cookbooks, reading about the paranormal, and spending time with my family.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Broccoli-Cauliflower Cheddar Cheese Soup

I really like this soup! It's creamy, delicious, and stays nice and creamy even one day after being refrigerated and reheated.

Broccoli-Cauliflower Cheddar Cheese Soup


1 cup chopped broccoli, (See*note)
1 cup chopped cauliflower (See *note)
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half cream
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/16 teaspoon black pepper

In a large stock-pot, add the broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, onions, and the broth.

Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer the vegetables for 20 minutes; stirring occasionally

Remove the lid, pour in the half-and-half, and stir to combine.

In a small skillet (8-inch), melt the butter over medium or medium high heat, then add the flour, and quickly stir with a fork until smooth. (It only takes a few seconds for this to thicken and become smooth.) 

Add this mixture to the stock-pot, and keep stirring with the fork until well combined, and until the soup has thickened a bit.

Add the cream cheese, and stir until it has melted into the soup.

Now add the cheddar cheese, and stir until the cheese has melted into the soup.

Season the soup with salt and pepper, then ladle into bowls and serve.

Yields: 3 to 4 servings

*Note: When I'm prepping the vegetables to make this soup, I don't actually chop the broccoli and cauliflower. I just cut the vegetables into some-what small floret pieces, but not too small.


No comments: