About Me

My photo
United States
Hello everyone, I'm Cindi, aka "domestic goddess", and I consider myself to be a country girl at heart. I'm also a mother to 3 daughters, and I have 1 granddaughter. Being a counrty gal, I enjoy preparing down-home country meals for my family. I also enjoy sharing recipes with others, collecting cookbooks, reading about the paranormal, and spending time with my family.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Broccoli-Cauliflower Vegetable Soup

I had some fresh vegetables in the fridge which I needed to use up, so I made this vegetable soup which has a hint of curry taste to it. It was creamy and delicious!

Broccoli-Cauliflower Vegetable Soup

3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup thinly sliced celery
3 small cloves garlic, minced
5 tablespoons all purpose flour (Yes that's correct, 5 TBSP.)
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1 cup chopped cauliflower (See *Note)
1 cup chopped broccoli (See *Note)
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

In a large stock-pot, melt the butter over medium heat.

Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté the vegetables for 8 minutes; stirring frequently.

Add the garlic, and cook and stir for 1 minute more.

Add the flour, and stir until the flour has incorporated into the vegetables. This just takes a few seconds.

Gradually add the chicken broth and water, and stir continuously with a fork, to loosen the flour from the bottom of the pot.

Keep stirring the pot, till the broth has thickened.

Add in the broccoli, the cauliflower, and the bouillon; stir to incorporate the granules.

Turn the heat to high, and bring soup to a boil.

Once the soup comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer the soup for 20 minutes; stirring occasionally.

Pour in the half-and-half, and add the curry powder, salt, and pepper, and stir.

Heat the soup through, but do not let it come to a boil.

Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

Yields: 4 servings

*Note: When I'm prepping the vegetables to make this soup, I don't actually chop the broccoli and cauliflower. I just cut the vegetables into some-what small floret pieces, but not too small.

No comments: